Thursday, July 28, 2011

Fun and Diarrhea at the Amusement Park

One of the downfalls of dealing with gluten issues is that EVERY TIME my son gets an upset stomach I panic that it's because of cross-contamination.  Particularly since he's too young to tell me specifically what's wrong.  Instead, it becomes a waiting game to see how long the digestive problems last. 

I should have been prepared for a crazy day when my son woke up at 4:45 am asking to go downstairs and eat fish sticks.   He drifted off whispering "I don't want to go to sleep...".   He actually ended up sleeping in this morning once I rubbed him back to sleep.  I thought the late wake-up was a good thing until he had his first accident (peeing on the floor) and subsequent bout of diarrhea. 

We met my sister and niece at an indoor amusement park that we take the kids to when the weather is bad.  Rather than being excited about the rides, he began to cry and repeat "I don't want an adventure!" over and over.  Finally, after about a half hour of reassuring him that the whistle on the train wasn't going to hurt him, he began going on rides. 

Then he had to go to the bathroom.  And again, and again.  I thought we were ok until I took him into the jungle gym area and he went poo in his underwear.  He was upset, since he never has those types of accidents in his underwear anymore.  I briefly panicked when I thought about how exactly to get him to the bathroom without leaving a trail of diarrhea behind.

To put this in perspective, this indoor play area is one of the largest in the country.  By the time we wove our way out of the maze we were in, found his shoes and put them on, and trudged across the amusement park to the bathroom, it was an ugly situation.

I shut the door to the bathroom stall, took off his shoes and then tried to finagle his underwear off without creating more of a mess.

I was unsuccessful. 

Thank G-d I had wipes in my purse, because I was wiping diarrhea off my son, myself, and the floor. 

Lucky me. 

My sister had a pull-up in her purse, so I yanked it on him and we hightailed it home.  After two more bouts of ever messier diarrhea, he finally went down for a 2 1/2 hour nap.  Which is unusual in itself.

I'm inclined to belief that this is more of a stomach bug than a cross-contamination issue for a few reasons.  The frequency and consistency were different, his behaviour was better than when he's contaminated, and most importantly, I know what he's eaten over the last few days.

I hope I'm right. 

Otherwise, we're in for at least another week of this. 

1 comment :

  1. Hi Kathleen, did you ever find out what it was? I certainly hope that it wasn't cross-contamination. Hope he's well now.